T-13

I came to a slightly panic inducing discovery last night. One of the authors of a number of papers I refer to and discuss in my thesis are written by my external examiner. How I didn't put it together before now I don't know...but I certainly know now! I definitely have someone who is an expert in my area of research to review me. This is exciting and terrifying at the same time.
Time to review!
Eep.
I admit that after this discover, in a fit of PMS I inhaled a muffin in a panic. Sometimes I cannot resist my old links to food = comfort. It was a fresh peach bran muffin I'd just made, so it wasn't the end of the world, but it's strange how easily old habits appear under stress.
This morning I decided to be more practical about it.
I have a plan.
I will review papers on the bus every day, and go over my speech once every lunch break until the big day. I will also try and think of questions I'll be asked and try and answer them. Work on important terminology so I dont' get hung up in definitions. My supervisor in TO has said she knows the reviewer personally and he's a nice guy, so thankfully I don't have to worry about the reviewer being out there to prove something...I just need to make sure I can clearly discuss my stuff because I won't be able to BS my way out of things :). And I'm going to work out and try to eat well and try not to snarf away my stress. It's tough. This morning I came in for a really good spin class and just finished a yummy bowl of one of my favourite breakfasts - cottage cheese with raspberries. Yum. Having healthy snacky muffins about is also a good thing.
Now it's work hard at my regular job which is also busy. As much as I want to review out of nervousness all day today, I have a meeting at lunch and after work my other supervisor is having the lab over for a BBQ so I don't know how much I'll get done tonight...but I will try my best. Just 2 more weeks...

No comments: