Tribal party

Last night was my last tribal class until the fall (sniff). We were encouraged to dress up tribal style, so I dug out an old 10 yard swirly hippy skirt and matching crop choli top and wrapped a bit of a scarf/turban around my head. I found a sparkly red bindi and wore my sparkly red belly jewellery that is shaped like a sun that rings the belly button...cool. I seldom get to wear it (J found it hilarious, that with all this I wore my yellow rubber boots out to the car...) Our teacher even had face makeup and painted our eyes and cheeks up with tribal markings. Not everyone dressed up but I LOVE costumery of ANY kind so I was right in there. It reminded me of a grown up costume/slumber party :)

It was a 2 hour dance party...lots of fun. Our teacher taught us the basics of zills and moving with zills (she brought enough for everyone to try), a bit of stomach undulations and then we had some tasty snacking while her troupe prepped a bit. Yum.
After that, those of us that wanted to be involved could be in the chorus for some group dancing, with trios and pairs going forward to do some moves...I joined, as I thought it would be fun. I got paired up with my teacher which was fun...I just had to follow her moves, and she stuck to stuff she knew I knew...it was all low pressure just for fun, so it didn't matter if we got it "right" or not - it was just for the joy of dancing. After that (while we snacked some more...ahem) our teacher and two of the pro dancers from her troupe put on a bit of a short show...even did some sword dancing.
So.
Cool.

After there was a bit of a group dance and then we even got to try balancing a sword on our head to try it out (yup I was right in there). I wish I'd brought our camera...oh well. People say they'll send me some photos. We shall see. Our teacher gave all of us who danced last night a flower to wear when we dance (it's tradition for tribal dancers to wrap their head up in a turban and wear flowers and pins...now I have my first flower :) ) My instructor invited me to take classes with the beginner performance troupe in the fall - I'm quite excited. The performance classes are through a dance studio sot hey cost more, but they are 1 1/2 hours long so you really get to focus in on things...and do more zills and trio work. I can't wait for fall :)

This morning I was so pumped I got up to do my yoga/bellydance drills DVD. I had some yummy breakfast and then it's off to work. And so now, here I am, ready for the day. Must be off...have a great day everyone!

Crossposted to my other blag

No comments: